0 Comments

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Review | Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas



Goodreads Summary 

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world. 


I didn't expect to fall in love with this book as much as I did. The world building, the characters and the writing style were absolutely epic! Sarah J Maas did an amazing job creating this world. Celaena Sardothien's parents died when she was young then the king of assassins took her in to train her to be a kick ass assassin. Later, was caught to be sent to a death camp called Endovier for a whole year. The king of Adarlhan decided he needs a personal assassin so he hosted this competition where trained competitors from everywhere come in and take these tests and the one who survives them all wins the position of being his assassin. The contestants are picked to be represented by other people and in Celaena's case, she is representing The Crown Prince. 

I loved watching Celaena take the tests and her journey living in the castle and how she dealt with everyone and everything! She was an amazing female character and probably one of my all time favorites. I loved her from almost the very first couple of chapters and she didn't let me down. I kept thinking of Shatter Me while reading this book and I have no idea why, I just received a Shatter Me vibe, but unlike Juliette, Celaena's head was always straight, she rarely doubted herself and she believed that everyone feared her and I admired that about her. She had an air of confidence unlike Juliette who I disliked in the first book. 

I loved the love triangle (strangely enough).. Love triangles are a huge red flag for me and it makes me dislike the female character that is stuck in the middle, but this didn't happen at all in this book. It also reminded me of The Hunger Games, but in a fantasy format, meaning some fantasy elements are added in. It was AMAZING and scary and gory. 

I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Can you please pick it up? I can't talk about this any longer without spoiling it so.. GO READ IT AND COME BACK TO DISCUSS THE SPOILERS WITH ME. K bye♥

DISCUSSION
(contains spoilers, highlight to view)


Am I the only one who kept picturing Dorian as Damon from TVD and Chaol as Stefan? Maybe it has something huge to do with my obsession with Vampire Diaries and the Salvatore brothers, but seriously though! The love triangle and their features.. Come on!! 

Sarah J Maas created this intricate story and everything was revealed from there perfectly.. She made Cain and Duke Perrington creepers from the very beginning and the fact that they couldn't be trusted. They were using magic, duh. The thing that irritated me is that the king knows about them using magic and I don't understand it, why would he agree to this? 

I hated the king of assassins, he was so cruel to Celaena and he treated children terribly, but I guess we should be grateful for him, since she turned out to be an amazing heroine. I need for her to meet up with him again! Imagine that encounter.. 

Celaena's background is so interesting to me, with her piano and Sam. What happened?!! I need to know more of her backstory and how she ended up in Endovier. Of course, I'm team Dorian and I would hate for him to be alive.. what if he really is alive though? hahaha NO. 

CEDORIAN? I love them, god, they remind me of Elena and Damon and I kept rooting for them the whole time. When he brought her puppies and when he saw her playing the piano.. At the ball when they danced and when they kissed agh I LOVE THEM and it broke my heart when she called it off, but I know they'll be back together. I love Chaol as well, he is like a Stefan to me, I like him as a friend with Elena, but not a boyfriend.. He is a great support system and a trainer, but nothing more.

I loved Nehemia! She was an amazing friend to Celaena and I hate myself for doubting her with Celaena, even for one second. Her loyalty is amazing and to find out that Celaena is a descendant off of Queen Elena was amazing (first off, her name *wink*).

Nox made a great ally, but I didn't like when she was training him, I was like NO Celaena he could beat you in the end! What are you thinking?! I loved her fight with Verin, when she kicked his ass without even using her sword. She is amazing!!! The final duel with Cain was such a pain to read, it lasted forever and it was hard on me to watch Celaena being tossed and turned and kicked around like that, THANKS to Chaol for killing the bastard, but poor Celaena.. Her win was well-deserved.

I'd love to know where this is going and I can't wait to pick up the rest, This would make amazing buddy reads, if you haven't read the second or third books HIT ME UP on twitter or goodreads for a buddy read any time you'd like! :)♥



4 comments:

  1. I liked this book a lot too. I think it was a little too hyped up for me and that's why I didn't fall in love with it. But I'm glad you liked it!!! Also I feel like I can't ship anything in this novel until I know what happened with Sam. Great Review!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the minority with this one. I didn't like it very much. Actually, I didn't like Celaena very much; I thought she was a very weak character, an assassin in name only who probably shouldn't have still been alive because she was so naive and silly (I just can't get past that scene with the bag of candy; I couldn't believe in her as a "bad-ass assassin" after that).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading Crown of Midnight and it is such an awesome series. Even though these books were so hyped up, I was scared to read them - they deserve all the hype! :D The whole series remind me a of the Study-series by Maria V. Snyder though. Not a bad thing, since I love that series ;)

    Cucie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh Throne of Glass! I'm glad you liked it :) I've been hearing so much about this, but I haven't read it D: I so so so badly need this now.

    ReplyDelete

You comments make my day! So thank youuu :) <3

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...