0 Comments

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Book Review: Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

Goodreads synopsis: 

On the day Liz Emerson tries to die, they had reviewed Newton’s laws of motion in physics class. Then, after school, she put them into practice by running her Mercedes off the road. 

Why? Why did Liz Emerson decide that the world would be better off without her? Why did she give up? Vividly told by an unexpected and surprising narrator, this heartbreaking and nonlinear novel pieces together the short and devastating life of Meridian High’s most popular junior girl. Mass, acceleration, momentum, force—Liz didn’t understand it in physics, and even as her Mercedes hurtles toward the tree, she doesn’t understand it now. How do we impact one another? How do our actions reverberate? What does it mean to be a friend? To love someone? To be a daughter? Or a mother? Is life truly more than cause and effect? Amy Zhang’s haunting and universal story will appeal to fans of Lauren Oliver, Gayle Forman, and Jay Asher.

I plainly state that this book will probably be one of my favorites of 2015. Maybe because it reminds me (somehow) of Looking for Alaska by John Green which is one of my favorite books? Maybe.  

I have picked this book out on a whim, I was in the mood for something sad and something that I will cherish forever and I thought, hey, I've just bought this book today and it fits my needs and maybe I'll just read it right away. And here I am, 24 hours later, done with it and in tears. AMAZING. 

This was one heck of an eye-opener. Falling into Place dealt with mental illness, family issues, drug abuse, teenage pregnancy, eating disorders, etc. This book made me see behind the popularity, behind the facade that people put on and it makes me devastated that there are people out there who are suffering from so much and carrying the burden of depression and refusing to seek help or do not know how. It breaks my heart in every way possible that human beings believe what they see. Human beings do not dig deeper, they do not judge a person upon personality anymore. A person is nothing but what his outer appearance indicates and what he chooses to portray to others.. it surprises me how shallow, cruel and merciless us human beings have become. 

All the sadness and rawness of this book aside, I loved loved the characters. I related to most of them and I grew a strange connection to each and every one. Liz, Julia, Kennie and Liam; each carry a load that drowns ME in sorrow. This book had me in tears just because all the characters were so REAL. This is a perfect portrayal of life in general, as a teenager or even as an adult.

Can I mention that Amy Zhang, the author, is actually sixteen? She is two years younger than I am and she managed to write something so beautiful that had me experience the awesomeness of simply falling in love with a book and it captivating your whole being. Yes, that's how I feel towards Falling into Place. The plot twists, the serious issues addressed, and the characters added to the stunning cover and design of this book. Amy's writing is simple and captivating; you can't help but love it.

Throughout this book, I didn't quite understand who the mysterious narrator is. It is told from a perspective of an outsider and not Liz's. I finally pieced the bits and pieces together at the end and it made me fall in love with this book again and again. 

I flew through this; it was really fast-paced. The characters intrigued me and their stories were exciting to read. It is my most marked book and here is a quote that I really liked and memorized: 

"He believed in broken things."


It may not hit you as much as it hit me, but you'll understand me more if you read this book (which you totally should).

I will NOT include spoilers in this one, because I'm too heartbroken and engulfed in misery to even talk about it, but I'd love to discuss it with you if you have read it! Comment down below your thoughts or tweet me @BooksByJayy so we can cry together, haha. 

Have a great day or night! :) 




9 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read this book! It's beyond impressive that the author is 16, which is one of the main reasons why I wanted to pick this up. I love stories that cover tough subjects, and this book has more controversial topics than I thought! Great review Jay, you definitely pushed me to make the purchase :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?? she is like my role model right now. I knowww, me too! I love hard hitting topics like that that most people shy away from..

      thank you Martika! you def should, you won't regret it! <3

      Delete
  2. Gah, oh my god! How is it that she is only 16 years old and yet managed to write a book! This make me depressed. xD Anyway, I will definitely have to check this book out. I am curious as to how her writings will be.
    Azee @ UnderCover Critique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESS I get you, it made me depressed as well, her writing is phenomenal and she put some physics and chemistry elements in there that blew my mind. She is really knowledgeable and it puts me to shame hahaha

      You shouuulld!! she's amazing x

      Delete
    2. I struggle to my physics and chemistry, couldn't imagined I'd even be able to apply it! Hahha you are not the only one feeling shamed. xD

      Delete
    3. Oh thank god! hahaha, I'm glad you can relate Azee..

      Delete
    4. Btw, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! Check it out here:
      Versatile Blogger Award.
      Have fun! :D

      Delete
  3. I want to read this so badly, i keep forgetting to look for it at the library since i always start looking for books in the A and i pick up enough that i never get to the Z!

    Everyone is loving it, and i keep seeing reviewers saying it's really emotional!

    Great review :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO ITTTT, Oh hahaha.. next time put it on your to borrow list <3

      It iss, it made my eyes water :(

      Thank you!! x

      Delete

You comments make my day! So thank youuu :) <3

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...