0 Comments

Monday, December 1, 2014

Book Review: Opposition by Jennifer L. Armentrout (Lux #5)



If you haven't read the first book of this series, please go here to check my review. This review will spoil the rest of the books for you. If you have read up til Origin, you can go ahead and continue reading this review. 

Goodreads:


Katy knows the world changed the night the Luxen came.

She can't believe Daemon welcomed his race or stood by as his kind threatened to obliterate every last human and hybrid on Earth. But the lines between good and bad have blurred, and love has become an emotion that could destroy her—could destroy them all.

Daemon will do anything to save those he loves, even if it means betrayal.

They must team with an unlikely enemy if there is any chance of surviving the invasion. But when it quickly becomes impossible to tell friend from foe, and the world is crumbling around them, they may lose everything— even what they cherish most—to ensure the survival of their friends…and mankind.

War has come to Earth. And no matter the outcome, the future will never be the same for those left standing.



Besides Origin, this book was my second favorite. Obsidian is still my favorite as well, there are too many good books in this series and it is extremely compelling.

I cannot go into details with this since this is the last book in a series, but if you're looking for a truly compelling young adult paranormal romance, this is definitely your pick! Katy and Daemon are my favorite couple ranking first next to Edward and Bella so.. if that's not an indication of how good this series is, then I don't know what is. 

This was a fast-paces book that I have read in two sittings, yes I was that desperate to know what's coming next. Don't judge. The thing that kept me on edge is that you don't see things coming, I was dumbfounded the whole time I was reading this book and JLA made me think that the logical thing was something and she surprised me with a totally different thing at the end. It killed your expectations and I loved that! It kept the surprise element going. 

One thing I disliked was that by the end of Opposition, it was hard to make a distinction between Kat and Daemon's POVs maybe because I was delusional because it was 9 am.. maybe, just maybe. Did anyone else think that? 

My rating order for these books: 
  1. Origin
  2. Opposition
  3. Obsidian
  4. Opal
  5. Onyx

Of course, I gave them all five out of five stars, but some were just better for me than the others.. 

I'll dive into the spoilers right away, just do yourself a favor and read this book!


SPOILERS START HERE, HIGHLIGHT TO VIEW.

This book starts off incredibly creepy, I was so confused and worried when the Blacks went missing. When Archer and Katy were getting Beth her medicine, I was speechless. The bad Luxen were lashing out on humans and everything in me urged Archer and Katy to leave! Kat was dumb saving the kid; there were thousands of kids being killed at this point, but I would've done the same thing if I was in her place (thank God I'm not). Jennifer L. Armentrout has this way of making you firmly believe in things and then tell you casually that it's not the truth; like with the Luxen. I truly thought they were the good aliens and the Arum were the bad ones, but no, they both have the good and the bad. Another one of JLA's revelations was Katy and Daemon being "not connected", I put down my book for a second with a gaping mouth. The realization hit me that she will pull an "Allegiant" on us (if you know what I mean). 

Every word that came out of Daemon in the beginning shattered my heart into a million pieces, their relationship was taking an amazing turn and it hurt because I thought it came to an end. When Daemon kicked Quincy's ass, I was ecstatic! A part of me believed that Daemon would never turn against Katy, but the other part thought that he was as brainwashed as Dee was. I was thankful for the dual POV, or I would never have known what Daemon's intentions really were and to be honest, I loved reading from Daemon's perspective more than Kat's.

One of my favorite scenes was when Katy flipped over the limo when Sadi turned out to be a freaking Origin! No one saw this coming, I was thinking the whole time reading this part that the doors to hell flew open and something terrible was going to happen. Daemon and Dawson were dumb to think that they were safe discussing escaping in a house full of mind-reading Luxen and maybe some Origins. The encounter with Daedalus again was strangely a relief, I would have done anything for them to be safe from other bad Luxen for now, I knew they would beat Daedalus' asses and get out anyways. 

Nancy's presence didn't annoy me as much as it did with everyone else, she is a human, why couldn't they simply snap her neck into two?! Why did it take them so long to kill her?!! I did not get this. 

The whole time I was reading this book I was thinking, WHERE ARE THE ARUM? They would end this whole bad Luxen going crazy in a matter of days. When Daemon said it, I was like "Thank you!!". How did this not cross anyone's mind? 

The juxtaposition of a Luxen - Daemon and a (former) human - Katy vs. an Arum - Hunter and a human - Serena was amazing. I loved how JLA made us see the different POVs of two alien species that despised each other. I also loved seeing Daemon and Katy being surprised that an Arum can end up with a human and actually fall in love with one. They believed for so long that an Arum is a cold, senseless creature and they were wrong. 

My Lotho
Meeting Lotho gave me the chills, I immediately pictured him as this villain from The Powerpuff Girls and please don't ask why. I thought he had the same intimidating face but with a muscular body and the Opal sewed in with his skin. When he asked to feed off Katy I was like "Uh-oh" and I was eager to see Daemon's reaction which was exactly the way I expected it to be. Have you seen this villain on the right laugh? That is how I imagined Lotho's laugh to be. I can't believe that they almost fought over a stupid person playing with their emotions and seeing how far they'd go. Honestly, I was surprised that he asked because I expected him to do it anyways if he really wanted to, which should've been an indication that he was playing them, it wasn't really the right time for games.


Hunter was my favorite new character in this book, along with General Jonathan Eaton. The aspect that the General's daughter's fiance was a Luxen made me so happy, I had a tiny flick of hope inside of me that the world can accept other species as well and life would be normal again. 

When Katy was eager to see her mother, I knew that she was dead in an instant. Katy's mistake was having such high expectations that everything would go back to square one, but I guess that she didn't let reality sink in. She was holding on to a fragment of hope that she wouldn't lose the only family she had and that is what made her mother's death hurt us readers, how she hoped with everything in her that her mother would make it out alive. My mouth dropped open when she saw her mom washing the dishes, I thought it was Katy's imagination running wild, but it turned out to be a Luxen! This was extremely low of Ethan. I despised the man so much that I almost cried in joy when Katy killed him off! I didn't think that an Origin master-mind would die from a stupid weapon, but apparently, it wasn't so stupid.. 

The horror that is Daemon being shot had me in tears, I was incredibly speechless that I couldn't shout at them for not killing Nancy earlier and Daemon not fulfilling the promise he made in the previous books that he would end up her life and ironically, Nancy ending his. If Daemon was dead, I would have sunk in my tears and hated this series, it wasn't the perfect ending I wanted, but JLA didn't disappoint. The conclusion of the series was more perfect than I have ever imagined, I liked the Archer/Dee relationship going on and I loved baby Ashley. I can totally see Dawson and Beth as parents and it made me so warm inside. When I picked up this series, I've heard rumors about Daemon and Katy having a baby and I was anticipating the news till the end of the book. I also kept track of their condom usage like an obsessive creep throughout the whole series. 

I liked the transition of nice Dee to bitch Dee, even though I hated how she treated Katy, but at least it was a confirmation that every good person had a bad inside them, just like the Yin and Yang and it's my view on life and people in general. 


JLA's writing was fluid and easy, she had a twisted way of not meeting your expectations and I loved it! Can we just give her a round of applause for her witty Daemon comments and Archer's humor? The books made me laugh out loud a lot and I appreciated that when I was having bad days. Can we also appreciate the pop culture references? Great job JLA! It's what every reading is looking for in a book, relatable characters, references to the real world that we live in and a compelling world building. 



Check out what I've thought of the other books:

Obsidian
Onyx 
Opal


No comments:

Post a Comment

You comments make my day! So thank youuu :) <3

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...