0 Comments

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Review | George by Alex Gino


Goodreads Synopsis

BE WHO YOU ARE.

When people look at George, they think they see a boy. But she knows she's not a boy. She knows she's a girl.



George thinks she'll have to keep this a secret forever. Then her teacher announces that their class play is going to be Charlotte's Web. George really, really, REALLY wants to play Charlotte. But the teacher says she can't even try out for the part . . . because she's a boy.  



With the help of her best friend, Kelly, George comes up with a plan. Not just so she can be Charlotte -- but so everyone can know who she is, once and for all.



This is about a  boy called George who is actually a girl. This girl struggles throughout the book to tell anyone who she actually is. George's class play going to be Charlotte's Web. George feels that she is the most suitable for the part and it is her biggest dream to get the role of Charlotte, but she can't.. because she is a boy. On the outside at least.. So Kelly, George's best friend, helps her out with a plan so she can achieve her dream of being Charlotte and for everyone to see her for who she is.

I loved loved this book. I would have given it a 5 star rating if it wasn't for the simple language, but it is a children's book so it's not like I expected too much of it. I was SO wrong.

This book didn't feel like a children's book at all. I loved how mature the characters seemed for their age. Especially George, she was seriously the most mature 10 year old that I have ever read about. The notion of creating a children's book with such a taboo topic is unbelievable to me. I'm so glad that it is 2015 and the children of today need to understand what it means to be a transgender. This is being educated about the people around them. I wasn't introduced to such topics until I was 13 or something of that sort.

 I think it is so helpful to those who struggle with the same issue to know who they are at a young age. It's so sad to me when people come out at 25 or even later, because they aren't just accepted by the people surrounding them. Imagine being unable to me yourself.. that is tough.

This book gave me all the feels and I actually had tears in my eyes. Everyone kept bullying George for how he looks and how he acts. It infuriated me to no end that people just assume and judge like that, I was rooting for George just to be himself and be happy throughout the whole book. It saddened me to see someone in such a position and what is more sad, that it is true. People do struggle and go through so much.

I loved Kelly and George's mom. They both were so super supportive of her, I really liked them and how acceptant they were of George.

The writing was tough to get into at first, I struggled so much and even put the book down a little bit and picked it up again. The book is told in third person which always portrayed George as a she. It meant that she wasn't a boy trying to be a girl, but in fact a girl and everyone else couldn't see it. I whizzed through the book once I got used to the writing. It took me 2 hours and that haven't happened in so long- concerning my slump.

I would recommend this book to everyone! I loved it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You comments make my day! So thank youuu :) <3

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...