0 Comments

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Review | The Grown Up by Gillian Flynn

Goodreads Summary:

'I watched the house. It watched me back through long, baleful windows so tall a child could stand in the sill. And one was. I could see the length of his thin body: gray trousers, black sweater, a maroon tie perfectly knotted at the neck. A thicket of dark hair covering his eyes...'

A young woman is making a living faking it as a cut-price psychic (with some illegal soft-core sex work on the side). She makes a decent wage mostly by telling people what they want to hear. But then she meets Susan Burke.

Susan moved to the city one year ago with her husband and 15-year-old stepson Miles. They live in a modern Victorian house called Carterhook Manor. Susan has become convinced that some malevolent spirit is inhabiting their home. The young woman doesn't believe in exorcism or the supernatural. However when she enters the house for the first time, she begins to feel it too, as if the very house is watching her, waiting, biding its time... 


4/5 stars

This is about a 'nameless' woman who gives handjobs at a shop where they read tarot cards and palms. She also pretends to read people's auras and one day, she encountered a client who looked wealthy and well-dressed and was really disturbed. Our protagonist decided to help this woman, Susan, with her problem. She has recently moved into a mansion with her husband and 2 sons which she thinks is possibly haunted. She needed help because she thinks her elder son is acting out because of the haunted house and it's causing him to do strange stuff and act in a hateful -rather vengeful manner. 

This is a Gillian Flynn book, so I expected nothing but great things. I have only read Gone Girl by her, but I intend on reading her other books this year. Gillian is well known for her characters and how messed up they can be. They usually have a terrible background which led them to be who they are today. Her books really mess with your mind and I find her writing to be truly beautiful. She usually makes you feel for the characters and she invests you in the story so much that you feel uncomfortable and weirded out throughout the whole thing.

For a short story, I believe that the characters were very well developed, I didn't feel like I wasn't well introduced to them at all. Gillian went into details about our protagonist's life and that was enough for me somehow. She has this ability of making you trust a character and then have them completely manipulate others and in return manipulate you as a reader.She is the queen of extremely smart characters and I love them no matter how fucked up they are.

I really wished that this had more pages than it actually did. It was super short and as a result, I wasn't satisfied with the ending AT ALL. I loved it, just because Gillian Flynn mastered an open ending, but still, it could have been longer. I want to know more about the characters because I was so invested in the story and when I flipped the last page, there was no more. That was it. It's heartbreaking.


One aspect of this story that I really enjoyed is that our main character is a book lover. Unlike her job -which is not what you would expect out of a woman with such a job and even concerning her past- she liked to read. I liked that the author broke the ''stereotypes" for both bookworms and sex workers. She also is a master of mystery and I never once predicted them, so a thousand thumbs up for the surprise element.

Have you read this book? Comment down below your thoughts, I'd love to know!



6 comments:

  1. I really intrigued about this one because Gillian Flynn of course and I'm glad to see you really enjoyed it. Most of the reviews have been very possitive which is always great but why it has to be so short? :( lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW RIGHT?! It's so sad, seriously I need more.. You have to read it. Gillian Flynn never fails me♥

      Delete
  2. Nice review Jumana!
    I've read Gone Girl by the same author and really enjoyed it, so I'm hoping to pick this one up at some stage. I actually saw it at the book store yesterday and was soooo close to buying it, but I just couldn't justify spending the amount of money they were asking for such a short story! Thankfully, there's always the library :P
    This book sounds so intriguing and you've made it even more so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sabrina!
      I did too and loved it, she is truly amazing. YES! I read it as an ebook because it was so expensive (I'm hoping to do that with Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling as well)
      Oh thank you! I'd love to see what you think of it when you read it so go ahead and definitely do so! You won't regret it

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this one too and I hope I get round to reading more from Gillian this year :-) Great review Jumana :-)

    I've recently posted <a href="http://emmasbookery.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/top-ten-books-ive-recently-added-to-my.html>my TTT post as to what I've added to my TBR list</a> if you would like to check it out :-) Have a great day :-) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope I do as well! Thank you so much Emma♥
      Of course I will x

      Delete

You comments make my day! So thank youuu :) <3

Follow
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...